Don’t you just love having something to snack on while watching your favourite series or during one of your movie nights at home? Potato chips are the popular choice for a crunchy snack, but they are really not healthy for you and you wouldn’t want to be snacking too much on them if you care about your body (and your waistline). For this reason I am very excited to present you another option that is crispy, salty, highly addictive, and guess what – really healthy! Kale is an excellent source of vitamin K, A and C and it has antioxidant and anti- inflammatory properties as well. Click here to read more about the benefits of kale and where to find it in Luxembourg. Doesn’t this sound like a perfect combination? Kale chips are super easy to make, it takes literally 15 minutes to have them ready and you can curl up under your blanket and snack away guilt-free.
Here is how I make my kale chips:
- 3 cups of curly kale
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- black pepper
I use a slightly different method to make my kale chips – I bake the dry kale in the oven first, and I add the olive oil afterwards to the baked kale. I do this because I find that baking the kale with the olive oil can lead the kale to burn quicker and leaves a slightly bitter taste, which I personally do not like. So here is what I do:
- use the fan setting of your oven and preheat it to 180 degrees.
- chop up the kale leaves with kitchen scissors, cutting the stem out and chop the kale leaves into approximately 4 cm sections
- rinse the kale and dry it really well, using a salad spinner or paper towel. The drying part is really important so make sure they are as dry as possible!
- lay the kale in a single layer on a baking sheet
- bake in the oven from 2 to 10 minutes, checking the kale chips constantly, as they can burn really quickly!
- Take the chips out of the oven and let them cool down for a bit. Then place them in a bowl, and add the olive oil, salt and pepper
Enjoy! I would love to hear how your kale chips turned out and if you liked them. 🙂