This is a quick and easy recipe that I like to prepare on the weekend and is great for toddlers and adults. It makes great leftovers and is perfect for your Sunday meal preparation. Get my online meal prep guide here.
My daughter loves it too, and it is a really good food for small children, as they can feel themselves without making a huge mess.
Quick and nutritious
I find the carrots go very well in this recipe and make it slightly sweet and earthy. I am using buckwheat flour, which makes this recipe gluten-free and adds on the nutrition. Buckwheat is a relatively good source of protein and fiber and it also contains important minerals, such as calcium and iron, even if in moderate amounts. The chickpeas bring the rest of the ingredients together. I love them not just because I like their taste, but also because they contain many nutrients, important for adults and children, such as folate, iron and manganese.
Carrot & Chickpea Balls
- 2 medium sized carrots (about 320g), chopped
- 1 cup/240g cooked chickpeas
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp salt – ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- Handful of fresh parsley and rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 180° C degrees.
- Slice the carrots into small slices and place in a blender or food processor. Shred them finely.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the carrots and process until well combined. You will get a smooth thick texture.
- Use your hands to make small balls; you can flatten them a bit with your hands.
- Line a baking sheet onto a baking tray and place the balls on it. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the balls turn golden-brown and build a little crust on top.
- Serve them with a fresh, green salad of choice, sweet potato mash or cauliflower rice.