These past few days have been exciting and busy, as I am wrapping up work, preparing for exams, getting ready for Christmas and potty training my daughter. The days fly by and I find myself with little time for cooking. But I still manage to cook healthy and nutritious meals, even with little time on my hands, because I know it is possible.
I made this soup a few times this month because it is so easy, satisfying and filling, and my daughter really loves it! The carrots and yellow lentils have a sweet and earthy flavour and the butternut squash gives that additional creaminess to make this bowl of soup real comforting.
I have recorded the quantities of the ingredients the last time I made the soup, as I wanted to share this recipe with you. And I only had time to take one picture before serving it, so it is not perfectly styled, but this is reality :).
If you like coconut milk, feel free to add some to the soup. The recipe contains none, and I find it delicious as is, but you can always switch it up a little.
I hope you and your little ones will like this recipe. My niece liked it as well, and my daughter frequently asks me to make her “yellow soup” 🙂 The advantage of this soup is that it contains lentils, which is great food for kids, as it is high in protein, and also contains minerals, such as iron, manganese, potassium and vitamins as folate, B6 and thiamin – all important for growing children. And of course the veggies are another bonus. If you want to further boost the veggie content, you can also add some cauliflower to the soup, it will go nicely with it.
Yellow lentil and squash cream soup
- 200g dry yellow split lentils
- 1 tsp ghee or water for sautéing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 600g butternut squash
- 200g carrots
- 1 tsp curry powder (mild and not spicy)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- fresh parsley
- Rinse the lentils and boil according to packaging instructions. Set aside.
- While the lentils are boiling sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in a big pot with the ghee or water, until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, ginger and cardamom to the pot and mix well.
- Add the chopped butternut squash and carrots to the onion and garlic. Cover them with some water and let them cook until they become soft.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, pour the cooked lentils over and mix well.
- With a hand mixer blend the lentils and vegetables, until you get a smooth and creamy consistency. You can add more water if you want to make the soup more liquid, or coconut milk or any other milk.
- Season with sea salt to taste.
- Optional: serve with some nutritional yeast and parsley on top.
One Thought on “Yellow lentil and squash cream soup”
Healthy and hearty soup