I hope you are enjoying the warm and sunny weather we are blessed with currently. If you are already somewhere relaxing and enjoying your holidays to the fullest, then that’s even better and I wish you an amazing time!
My holidays have to wait for another couple of weeks, and I am trying to include some summer holiday habits in my everyday life, and so far I have to admit it’s working really well, probably because of the nice weather outside! 🙂
One of these summer habits is eating fresh and light food especially for lunch. When the weather is so hot I rarely feel hungry and cannot eat heavy or even worse – fatty meals. On the other hand I do want to make sure that I am eating nutrient rich foods that will give my body exactly what it needs!
This next recipe is based on this principle – it is light but filling, absolutely delicious and a real bomb of nutrients, plus it is so easy to make, you won’t even believe it!
I call it a power salad, because you will get a lot of proteins and minerals from a seemingly “light” salad. Want to know what I am talking about? Here is just a little nutrient information:
- Watercress contains more iron than spinach, more calcium then milk, and more vitamin C than oranges! It is also packed with vitamin K, which is very important for your bone health. I love its peppery flavor in salads!
- Haricot beans and corn combined give you all essential amino acids for strong muscles. Hello complete plant protein!
- And wheat germs… ahh wheat germs are just so good for you, but unfortunately not enough people consume it. Just to tell you a few facts about it, and hopefully convince you to buy them next time you go to your health store:
- They are packed with B vitamins, especially with folate, which enhances your body metabolism, promotes and restores cellular growth, and is especially important for moms to be.
- They are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion
- Wheat germs contain a lot of minerals, such as iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium and selenium. Our body needs minerals to repair itself and run the chemical reactions that keep us healthy.
- Avocado is my favourite “fat” source. You can see why in my post HERE.
So, are you ready to give this nutrient bomb a try for yourself? Here is what you will need:
Ingredients (Serves 3):
- 1 big ripe avocado
- 3 tomatos
- ½ cucumber
- 1/3 bunch of watercress
- 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups of rocket salad
- ½ cup haricot beans
- ½ cup corn
- 1-2 tbs sunflower/ pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbs of wheat germ
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tbs olive oil (optional)
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Rinse and dry the rocket salad and the watercress and place them in a salad bowl
- Rinse and chop the tomatoes, cucumber and avocado and add them to the salad
- Add the chopped parsley, haricot beans, corn, and seeds and mix everything well
- Add the lemon juice and olive oil, with some salt, pepper and cayenne and mix one more time
- Top up with the wheat germs
3 Thoughts on “Summer Power Salad”
Oh I love how this salad looks/sounds. 😀
Yum, looks so fresh and delicious!