I am all about comforting, warm food these days. As I mentioned in my previous post, I also like to cook a big batch of a meal, so that I have food for dinner and lunch, and can save valuable time. That’s why this recipe is a big win!
There is no way to get this recipe wrong. In fact I have been making different variations of it in the past few weeks, so that we always have new flavours. By that I mean that I regularly swap the veggies I put in it, depending on what I have in the fridge. I also change the seasoning, and experiment with different herbs and spices. Every time I end up with a delicious meal! Save this recipe, for days when you wonder what to cook with the ingredients you have in your fridge ;).
Here is the recipe for this delicious and easy curry:
Ingredients (serves 6-8):
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice
- 400ml coconut milk
- 200gr tempeh (cut in cubes)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion (chopped in cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped in cubes)
- 1 zucchini (chopped in cubes)
- 200gr cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 100gr peas (frozen or fresh)
- 300gr spinach (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 lemon
- handful of fresh coriander
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper
- Soak the brown rice for a few hours if you have the time. Otherwise place it in a pan together with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 30 min, until the rice is tender and soft.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare your sauce. Heat a pan and add the coconut oil, onion, pepper and garlic. Stir until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Add the dry spices (without the mustard), the zucchini, tempeh mushrooms, spinach and peas.
- Stir well on a medium heat and then add the coconut milk and mustard. Stir until all the veggies are soft and cooked.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper and if needed, more spice.
- Drain the cooked rice and fold it in the sauce. Mix well.
- Serve with a slice of lemon and some fresh coriander.