Perfect for this time of the year, the soup is warming, grounding and comforting. It is a perfect addition to your weekly meal preparation menu, as it holds well in the fridge for 3 days.
Do you feel like winter is not that far away too? This spicy pumpkin soup really helps to forget that it’s cold outside. 🙂
For the body and soul
As it is officially pumpkin season, let’s cozy up with a warm bowl of this cream soup and warm up our body and soul.
Pumpkins offer us many health benefits too. If you’d like to know what else you’re providing your body with then read this article. I discuss all the health and nutritional benefits pumpkins have to offer.
Spicy Pumpkin Cream Soup
- 2 medium/small Hokkaido pumpkins
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 garlic clove, minced
- 100g organic tofu, cubed (optional; it makes the soup creamier and more substantial)
- 1 can organic, coconut milk
- 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- fresh turmeric 4cm cube, minced
- fresh ginger 4cm cube, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- sea salt to taste
- Cut the pumpkin into 4 wedges. Discard the seeds. You can save them for another recipe, or roast them on their own for salads or as a snack.
- Peel the skin with a peeler and slice the pumpkin into cubes.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the pumpkin and boil until soft. Drain the pumpkin, but keep some of the water. You will need that for the soup.
- Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a pan and add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Saute until fragrant. Add the rest of the spices: turmeric, cardamom and curry and heat them up until they release their fragrance. Be careful not to burn them. Add a little water to prevent this from happening.
- Add the cubed tofu and coconut milk to the spices and onion and let them cook for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pan mixture to the cooked pumpkin. Add a little of the water in which the pumpkin cooked and blend well with a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can adjust the thickness of the soup to your preference by adding more or less water.
- Serve in a bowl and top with some fresh herbs and paprika.