Summer is all about appetisers, cold drinks, yummy little bites and having fun in the company of friends and family. Preparing little appetisers to go with your after-work drink can make your evenings more festive and special. I find this helps you relax even more, slow down and just enjoy the moment, while indulging in some interesting and funny conversations.
I love preparing dips that you can just put alongside some freshly cut veggies, or freshly baked bread or crackers. One of my favourite things to prepare is hummus (click here for the recipe), but it can get a bit monotonous over time. So I have experimented with different ingredients to create dips that are just as delicious, and incredibly healthy too. I have split this post into three parts, and in each one I will be sharing with you a special dip recipe. The colours of all three dips are bright and summery, they instantly get you in a good mood, and their use is so versatile – you can use them as a sauce, pesto and so much more! Make all three together if you really want to impress your guests and give them the choice to try them all. They taste completely different from each other, which makes them even more perfect for a brunch or light dinner party.
So without further ado, below I am sharing the first dip recipe. It is based on the traditional Greek fava recipe. It tastes hearty and goes so well with focaccia bread (you should know I love focaccia!). Made on the base of yellow split peas, this dip is filling, as it is rich in fiber, but it has many more health benefits as well.
Yellow split peas are a great source of plant-based protein, B1 vitamin, which is essential for energy metabolism and proper nervous system function. They also contain minerals, such as potassium and phosphorus, important for building strong and healthy bones.
- 1/2 cup yellow split peas
- 1 medium to small yellow onion
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 4-5 tbsp water (you can add more water if you would like to make this more saucy)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the yellow split peas according to their package instructions.
- Once boiling, chop the onion into small cubes and add it to the boiling peas.
- When the peas are cooked and the onion is soft, remove from the heat and let them cool down.
- In a food processor, add the boiled peas, together with the rest of the ingredients (without the water) and blend well.
- Add water slowly until you reach the desired consistency.
Stay tuned for the next post, which will feature a Green Summer Dip, based on edamame, green peas and spinach! 🙂
2 Thoughts on “Perfect Summer Dips – Fava Style Dip”
I will definitely be giving these a try 🙂
Let me know how you like them! 🙂