As you already know I love practicing yoga, and I love tasty food. This smoothie is my sweet combination of those two things. I love drinking it after a yoga session, and sometimes even 30 minutes before yoga if I feel a bit hungry.
It is sweet and addictive! How often is it that you find something so sweet, guilt-free and good for your body?!
Why do I love this smoothie? Because it tastes great and because its ingredients are very nutritious and much needed after a workout session.
- Bananas are one of the best sources of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining blood pressure and heart function. It also helps maintain the fluid balance in the body. If you work out you need more potassium as you lose some from the muscles during exercise. Potassium is important to prevent muscle cramps, irregular heartbeat and lack of energy.
- Hemp seeds are great food to build long, lean muscles thanks to their high protein content. They are a rich source of easily assimilated amino acids and as we know protein provides strong building blocks to boost your muscle tone. Just 30g of hemp seeds provide you with 10.3g protein! Hemps seeds are also a very good source of omega 3 and omega 6 acids.
- Raw Cacao: I am not talking about cocoa, the difference is big. Raw cacao is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans. This process keeps the living enzymes and removes the fat. Cocoa on the other hand is raw cacao roasted at high temperatures! The high temperature reduces the enzyme content and the nutritional value of cocoa. Raw cacao is particularly rich in magnesium and antioxidants and will provide you with some iron and calcium as well.
- Almond Milk is my favourite milk alternative as you know. You can read more about its benefits and how to make your own at home in my post here.
- Dates are high in dietary fiber, iron, vitamins and minerals. They contain so much goodness that I will have to create a special post about dates to be able to go through all of them!
So now that you know what you will be putting in your body, I am sure you can’t wait to try this baby. Here is what you will need:
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1 small banana
- 1 glass of almond milk (about 200ml)
- 3-4 dates
- 1 flat tablespoon raw cacao
- 20-30g hemp seeds
Pit the dates and cut them into small pieces. Insert everything in the blender and blend well until smooth. Poor in a glass and decorate with some hemp seeds on top.