As soon as I made this salad last week I knew it would make it on the blog! Just the colours of the ingredients put one directly in a good mood. 🙂 This salad is super easy to make, offers a lot of nutrition, and hydration, and the dressing complements the fresh vegetables and fruits in a delicate way. It is a great choice for a light lunch, or for a summer picnic or brunch. I hope you’ll enjoy it just as much as I do!
This salad offers the following nutrients:
- from the red lettuce: vitamins A, C and K
- from the apricots and peach: antioxidants, such as beta-carotene and much more (Read more about the health benefits of peach and apricot here)
- from the raw pepper: vitamin C! Did you know that raw peppers offer more vitamin C than oranges? And they are so juicy and crunchy in salads!
- from the kidney beans: fiber, irin, potassium, and calcium – they add more “meat” to the salad and will provide you with more energy
- from the pumpkin seeds: magnesium and some iron and zinc
All in all it is a well-rounded salad, that will boost your nutritional intake, it will hydrate you and increase your fiber intake. So here’s how to make it.
Colourful Summer Salad
- For the salad:
- 1/2 head of red leaf lettuce
- 1 green onion
- 2 apricots, thinly sliced
- 1 peach, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 150gr kidney beans, washed and drained
- handful of pumpkin seeds
- 1 fig to decorate the salad
- some sesame seeds (optional) For the dressing:
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp raw honey (why raw honey?)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all salad ingredients in a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour it over the salad.
- Mix well until everything is well coated in the dressing and enjoy immediately.
Enjoy vibrant and delicious food during these warm, sunny days! I hope you’ll like this one!