If you are looking for something light, easy and filling, than give this recipe a try. It is super easy to make – it took me only 25 minutes. Granted, I already had some cooked millet, which saved me some time. I will write about this more in the future. Preparing your grains and legumes in advance is such a time saver, and it also makes it more likely you will actually end up eating them! 😉
This salad is perfect as a side dish, but makes a great main on its own as well. I would like to hear your opinion once you’ve tried it. If you would like me to see your recipe creations, make sure you tag me on #platefulnutritionco and @platefulnutrition.co on Instagram. 😉
So here are the ingredients for this refreshing salad.
Millet and Chickpea Salad
- 120gr millet, preferably soaked for about 6 hours
- 4-5 tbsp chickpeas, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 4-5 tbsp corn, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 celery stick, chopped into small cubes
- 5 mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 handfuls of sun-dried tomatoes (if you can get them in a package that doesn’t contain added oil)
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil, chopped into thin stripes
- 1-2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the millet in 250ml water for about 20minutes, until it becomes fluffy and soft. Drain and place in a big salad bowl.
- While the millet is cooking, chop the mushrooms into cubes, mince the garlic and add them to a pan with some of the oil. Sauté them until they become fragrant and soft. Set aside.
- Add the chickpeas, corn, chopped celery and the sautéed mushrooms to the millet.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces and add them to the salad too, together with the basil.
- Add the lemon juice, rest of the avocado or olive oil and the spices and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!