If you feel like you want something a bit more exotic on a cold and grey day, than this salad is for you. It is light and really delicious, with mild, creamy and sweet flavour that just blends so well with the zestiness of fresh lemon juice.
I made this salad for lunch the other day and it was filling, and such an joy to eat! I love adding quinoa to a salad, as it gives that fullness to it, making it more than just a salad, and it provides you with protein and fiber. The combination of mango and avocado is just a match made in heaven. I added some kale to the salad for more crunchiness and nutritional boost.
Here is what you will need to make this at home:
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4-5 leaves of kale
- 1 avocado
- 1 medium sized mango
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 3 handfuls of raw cashew nuts (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the quinoa in a pot and add the 2 cups of vegetable stock. Boil for about 20 minutes until the water evaporates and the quinoa becomes soft and fluffy. Set a side.
- Remove the stems from the kale leaves and tear them in bite size peaces. Wash them well and dry them with a salad spinner or kitchen paper.
- Place the kale in a bowl with a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. With clean hands start massaging the kale until it softens a bit and becomes dark green.
- Chop the avocado and mango in cubes and place them in the bowl with the kale.
- Add the quinoa and cashew nuts and mix well.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper and mix one last time.