What is summer without ice cream? I love ice cream, and I won’t lie by saying I’ve been enjoying it in moderation. Two big reasons for me eating so much of this particular recipe: it’s healthy (dairy and sugar-free), and incredibly easy to make at home! I have been trying different variations, and experimenting with various fruits, but the recipe I am about to share with you made me even more excited about ice cream! As I was playing around with the flavours, I decided to simply stack them over each other, and this created a pretty ice cream cake! You cannot imagine how bubbly I got after taking the firmed ice cream cake out of the freezer! 🙂
I started with my classic banana nice cream. You can find the recipe here. Then I thought that it would actually be nice to have some chocolate ice cream as well… And then the idea came to add some blueberries. What I love about it, is that it has different flavours, the banana ice cream is really sweet and creamy, while the blueberry sorbet is zesty and a bit tangy because of the lime in it. I find they go quite well together!
This ice cream cake is actually simply based on frozen fruits. And bananas are great to eat when you sweat a lot, as they are rich in potassium and can help prevent cramping.
Here is what you will need, grab your blender and get started!
Ingredients: makes one ice cake, and serves 8.
For the banana nice cream:
- 3 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
For the chocolate nice cream:
- 3 frozen bananas
- 2-3 tbs maple syrup
- handful of raw cacao nibs
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
For the blueberry sorbet:
- 125gr frozen blueberries
- the juice of 2 limes
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- Start with the banana nice cream. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend well. You will notice how the banana is going to get nice and creamy. Put it in a bowl and place it in the fridge so that it gets firm.
- Place the chocolate nice cream ingredients in the food processor and blend them well.
- Grab a cake pan (preferably one with detachable ends) and slowly start pouring the chocolate ice cream in the bottom. Flatten it well and place it in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- After it has firmed a bit, take the banana ice cream out of the fridge and add it on top of the chocolate. Pay attention not to mix the two flavours too much.
- Place the ice cream cake back in the freezer.
- Rinse the food processor and insert all ingredients for the blueberry sorbet. Blend well until the blueberrires fully break down and get creamy as well. You can add more lime or maple syrup, depending on what flavour you prefer.
- Place the blueberry sorbet on top of the banana ice cream. Flatten it evenly (careful as blueberries tend to stain) and place the ready ice cream cake in the freezer to firm up.
- Take it out after a few hours, and enjoy it topped with bananas, blueberries or nuts!