Kale is deservedly called a super food. It is packed with nutrients that will nourish your body and your cells, and leave you feeling great. I would definitely define myself as a kale lover. I make sure I include this dark, leafy green in my menu at least once a week. It is a source of so many vitamins and minerals, and is especially interesting for vegetarians and vegans, as it has more iron per calorie, than beef! Yeah, you read that right – more iron per calorie than beef.
So let me list some of the numerous benefits of kale and give you 8 reasons why you should start including it in your diet today:
- Kale is rich in fiber, contains zero fat and is low in calories. The fiber in kale will aid with digestion, and this veggie will provide you with more nutrients for fewer calories than any other food around. And when I say few calories, I mean 36 calories per cup of kale.
- Kale contains powerful antioxidants and can help prevent cancer. The concentration of the antioxidants carotenoids and flavonoids in kale plays a role in cancer prevention.
- This leafy green is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and offers a great support to your cardiovascular system.
- Kale is high in Vitamin K. Vitamin K is essential for healthy bones, prevents the blood from clotting, and can help people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
- Kale is a good source of calcium. It has more calcium per calorie than milk. Calcium is essential to your bone health, can prevent osteoporosis and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.
- Kale is great for the detoxification of your body. The fiber and sulfur in kale are great for detoxing your body and will keep your liver healthy.
- Kale is high in vitamin C. Important for your immune system and metabolism.
- Kale is high in vitamin A. Important for your eyes and skin.
When is best to buy your kale?
You can find kale all year round, but its peak season is from the middle of winter through to the beginning of spring.
Where to buy kale in Luxembourg?
A lot of people have asked me where I get my kale from. Recently, since kale is in season I see it often in the local supermarkets . and most recently at Auchan. You should look for “Chou Mousse” in French, or “Grünkohl” in German.
I always find kale in the farmers market at Place Guillaume II in Luxembourg City, every Wednesday and Saturday from 07:30 until 13:00h. Here are a few pics I took from the market today.
How to prepare kale to optimize its benefits?
First off, make sure you always rinse the kale well. Then remove the stems, as they are quite bitter. I love my kale steamed, raw or baked. I consume it raw in some of my salads and smoothies, and I looovee making myself kale chips! Check out my kale chips recipe here.